Mastered an epic tart recipe, or buying a plain ready-made tart? Then you’ve got the perfect foundation for a Matcha Tart. Here’s how to make the filling:
- 250 ml whole milk
- 125 ml heavy cream 36% milkfat
- 3 egg yolks
- 50g granulated sugar
- 15g all-purpose flour
- 9g cornstarch
- 15g Matcha
- pinch sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the whole milk and heavy cream in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until scalding hot.
- In a heat-safe bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, cornstarch, Matcha, sea salt and vanilla extract, until smooth.
- While whisking the egg mixture, gradually drizzle in the warmed milk to bring it up to temperature (this is known as tempering).
- When all the warmed milk and cream has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan and continue to whisk until it begins to thicken, about 3-5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and chill over an ice bath.
- When the mixture is no longer warm, transfer to a clean bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap over top of the surface (to prevent a skin from forming).
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Spread the Matcha custard filling into the cooled tart crust.
- Chill for a minimum of 2 hours to let the custard set.
- Top with whipped cream and sugared cranberries (optional).
- Use a sharp serrated knife to slice and serve chilled.