Whipped cream and fresh strawberries? Yes please! This delicious sponge cake features our fave ingredient – Matcha powder (what else?) Try the recipe out for yourself today, and let us know how you go! Let’s get baking.
For the cake:
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Matcha powder
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar for dusting
For the filling:
- ½ cup heavy chilled whipping cream
- 2-3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 200g fresh hulled and chopped strawberries
To make the sponge cake:
- Preheat the oven to 190° C. Line the baking sheet with paper.
- In a small bowl, mix Matcha powder with 1 tbsp hot water until smooth.
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites. (Tip: Make sure there’s no egg yolks in egg whites, or it won’t whip correctly)
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and ¼ cup of sugar until pale and tripled in size, about 2 mins.
- Mix in the Matcha paste.
- In a mixing bowl with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar one tbsp at a time. Increase the speed to medium high and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add half of the whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold the batter with a spatula until almost smooth, and then add the remaining whipped egg whites. Carefully fold in the batter until it’s smooth.
- Sift in the cake flour and salt and gently fold it until the flour is fully immersed in it.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Using an offset spatula, spread the batter evenly to smooth the surface.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Lay a clean kitchen towel on the counter and generously dust with powdered sugar.
- Once out of the oven, immediately invert the cake on the prepared kitchen towel. Peel off the paper and roll it with the towel.
- Set the rolled cake on a cooling rack and allow it to cool.
To make whipped cream:
- In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, beat heavy cream on low speed until frothy.
- Add sugar and continue to whip on medium speed until hard peaks form. Place in the fridge until ready to eat.
To assemble the roll cake:
- Once cooled completely, unroll the cake and spread half of the whipped cream over the cake. Sprinkle the chopped strawberries on, then spread the remaining whipped cream over the strawberries and roll the cake into a log.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve!