These cheesy pesto scrolls are a delicious savoury snack. They are best served hot but are also great packed in a lunchbox. We have used spelt flour so they are low in gluten, as well as being refined sugar free. You can use cheese or substitute with your favourite vegan cheese for a dairy-free option!
- 1 tsp yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups spelt flour (or choose GF flour) + extra for rolling
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp matcha powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 120 grams pesto sauce
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 100g grated organic cheese (or vegan cheese)
- 1 handful fresh spinach leaves
- Firstly prepare the dough. Place yeast in warm water and set aside for 10 – 15 mins.
- Sift flour into bowl. Add baking powder, salt and matcha.
- Then add olive oil and yeast/water to the dough, mixing well. Cover and leave in a warm place for approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough into an oval shape on a floured board, around 1/2 inch thick.
- Mix matcha powder and pesto, stirring well. Spread pesto over the dough and add spinach leaves and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Roll dough and cut into slices.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish and place in oven for approx. 30 minutes.
- Lightly drizzle with olive oil and garnish with toasted pine nuts (optional). Scrolls are best served hot.
Provided courtesy of Hannah & Jen, the amazing Mother-Daughter Duo behind Healthy Luxe.
To learn more about them visit their insta @healthyluxe and make sure to tag @healthyluxe and @matcha_maiden in your re-creation of this recipe because we’d love to see and share it!