Green tea ice cream – our favourite part of going to a Japanese restaurant. And now you can do it at home, whenever you want. Isn’t that the best ever!?
The easy way
- MIX N MATCHA BLEND to taste
- Vanilla ice cream of choice
The fancy way
- 2 tbsp MIX N MATCHA blend
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp sugar (or substitute)
The easy way –
- Let your ice cream melt a little and mix in MIX N MATCHA to taste.
- Put it back in the freezer for a while – BOOM!
- Green tea ice cream at home!
The fancy way –
- Place ice water in a large bowl that can hold a pot. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of milk and green tea powder, and whisk well (the powder may not dissolve completely). Then add back to the rest of milk (1 3/4 cups) and mix.
- Heat the milk mixture and 1/2 cup of heavy cream at medium heat, and cook until just before boiling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the rest of the heavy cream (1/2 cup), yolks, and sugar. Add hot milk very slowly to the egg mixture.
- Put egg/milk mixture back to the pot and cook at medium heat stirring constantly until thick (to check the thickness, dip a wood spoon in the egg/milk mixture, and check and see if you can scrape a clear line on the back of the spoon with a finger).
- Place the pot in the ice water and cool. Transfer to a container and chill at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Follow the direction of your ice cream machine and mix. Very soft ice cream is done after about 15-20 minutes.
- Freeze 3 hours before serving.